Principal Technical Designer - CA Sofia
Design | New Project
You'll become part of a world class development team that has worked on the titles of the award-winning Total War series and will have the opportunity to make a mark on our new project, contributing to the creation of a genre-defining game.
As a Principal Technical Designer on the project, you will join us in working on an exciting and original new project. Your duties will involve liaising between programmers, artists and designers to solve complex technical challenges, developing and refining pipelines, creating scripts to implement gameplay, debugging scripts and ensuring we follow best practices in the design team. You will work closely with gameplay and tools coders to ensure smooth implementation of new features.
In this role you will help shape the architecture for new game systems, as well as create and implement the more complex technical design elements into the game. You will bring your experience with Unreal 4 to the project development team.
You will be working across the project disciplines, so you will need to be able to communicate clearly and effectively. Bringing your high level of technical skills to the project, you will be critical to the success of this role.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Experience with commercial game engines
- Experience with programming and visual scripting languages
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as presentational skills
- Ability to process feedback and iterate game features to a high level of quality Ability to work autonomously
- Great attention to detail
- Deep and wide gaming literacy
- (Hands on experience and understanding of a wide variety of genres such as Strategy, RPG, Simulation etc. is a plus)
- Hands on experience and understanding of third-person action combat systems
- Strong analytical and creative skills. Shipped at least one game in a design role
- You have demonstrated proficiency in scripting in at least one engine in a shipped title
- Experience working in the pre-production phase of development on at least one game
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for five consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Additional medical and dental health insurance for you, your partner and kids, life insurance, and free health care screening
- Additional holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all Bulgarian Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, soft drinks and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Office massages
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer and Christmas parties, Children’s day party, wrap parties for game releases
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.